Frequently Asked Questions

We've answered your most common questions below.

Public Housing FAQ:

How do I get on the waiting list for housing with Oxford Housing Authority?

The first step is to go to our website or come in and pick up pre-application paperwork. You will have to return with all the needed information and go through a sit-down application interview. Generally, applications are taken on Tuesdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. -3:15 p.m. There is a sign-up sheet and you must schedule a time with the Occupancy Specialist before you come in for the interview.

How long is your waiting list?

We currently have a long waiting list which depends on apartment size and complex location.

Do you have emergency housing?

No. The Mississippi Regional Housing Authority II provides permanent housing only. MRHA II does not provide temporary or emergency housing of any kind. Emergency housing is only offered through homeless shelters or other local organizations not affiliated with MRHA  II.

Where is your office located and how many complexes do you have?

Our main office is located at 900 Molly Barr Rd., Oxford, MS. We have 4 complexes located in Oxford (CB Webb, Laurel Grove, Willow Knoll, Wayne Johnson).

Why did Riverside Place close?

Unlike our other properties the Oxford Housing Authority did not own Riverside Place. The City of Oxford owns Riverside and we managed the property on their behalf. The HAP contract expired on February 28, 2017. All residents received a Housing Choice Voucher which allowed them to choose a rental property in the private market. Once all families had been relocated the complex closed. We are not aware of the future plans for the property, as it belongs to the City of Oxford.

Section 8/ Housing Choice Voucher & Portability FAQ:

Can I have a list of available properties?

Landlord list are ONLY given out once we receive your port paperwork.

Are you accepting applications for Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher Program)?

Due to already extensively long waiting lists, we are not currently accepting applications for Section 8. We do not anticipate any changes in the near future due to lack of financial funding.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program was formerly known as the Section 8 Program. The Housing Choice Voucher program is designed to help eligible families obtain affordable housing and to provide increased housing choices.

Are you accepting applications for the HCV Program?

Currently MRHA II is NOT accepting applications.

How long will I have to wait for a Housing Choice Voucher?

The wait will depend on your rank on the waiting list and the amount of funds available to provide rental assistance under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Are you billing or absorbing?

We are ONLY accepting BILLING at this time.

How long may a participant remain on the program?

A participant remains eligible for the program as long as the PHA has a housing assistance payment (HAP) to pay to the owner and the participant does not violate any program regulations.

How long does a participant have to look for a unit?

The initial term of the voucher is 60 days. Depending on certain circumstances you may apply for an extension for an additional 30 days or longer.

What determines the number of bedrooms I qualify for?

For each family, the PHA determines the appropriate number of bedrooms under the PHA subsidy standards.

Where may I use my voucher?

You may search for suitable housing anywhere in our jurisdiction. Wherever you decide to live must first be approved by MRHA II. The unit must pass a housing quality standard inspection.

Does my voucher size change when I port in?

No. Your voucher size will be the same as what your initial Housing Authority classified you as on your voucher and during the port-out process.

What is portability?

A participant family that has been issued a voucher has the right to use tenant-based voucher assistance to lease a unit anywhere in the United States providing that the unit is located within the jurisdiction of another PHA.

What is my annual recertification?

The PHA is required to reexamine each family's income and composition at least annually, and to adjust the family's level of assistance accordingly.

What if my income changes?

You must report all changes in your income and household composition in writing to your Section 8 Specialist.

May I move other people into my assisted unit?

You may add others to your family/household composition; however, they must be approved by MRHA II before they may move into your assisted unit.

Who is responsible for paying my utility bills?

You must refer to the HAP lease to determine the responsible party. Utilities must be current at all times whether the family or the owner is responsible for paying the bill; even when a utility service is not being used because of climate conditions, that utility service must be connected and the bill current.

How do I qualify for the HCV Section 8 Program?

The applicant family must qualify as a family as defined by HUD and PHA, have income at or below HUD-specified income limits, qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members, provide social security number information for family members as required, consent to the PHA's collection and use of family information as provided for in PHA-provided consent forms, past behavior of household members must not include activities that are prohibited by HUD or the PHA.